Jun 29, 2009
This is a repost of my frustrating journey, as reported on separate thread. I have also posted this info on the Crackberry forums here.I have been to just about EVERY thread on both this forum and others (Blackberry Support for instance). I have also spoken directly with my provider (Verizon Wireless) and with RIM Tech Support (more on that later). Almost all posts I have seen can be narrowed down to the following two theories:
View 19 Replies
1. The Hardware Problem Theory
In this scenario, something inside of the headset jack is triggered (a switch of some kind) when headphones are inserted. As a result of some defect or other, the switch is not being deactivated when the headphones are removed. Thus, the device still believes that the headset is connected and will default to "Headset Mode" for all calls, music playback, etc.Every proposed solution has been to insert something (Qtip, headset plug, compressed air, etc.) into the headset jack in an attempt to either dislodge or inactivate the switch that is making device think that a headset is still plugged in. Others have said to do a combination of wiggling the headset insert in and out/back and forth while on a call or pressing some button.
As of today, ALL of the above methods are inconsistent and unreliable. Unless it truly is a spec of dust or something STUCK inside the headset jack, wiggling it around will NOT fix the issue! I was able to temporarily fix my issue doing this, but it just came back when I tried to use the headphones again. How dare I use something that I'm SUPPOSED to be able to use
The ultimate test of this was to take the phone back into a store and get it swapped out (warranty replacement). After speaking with both my provider (Verizon Wireless) and then RIM tech support, I did this recently. Unbelievably, as soon as I restored my backed up settings via desktop and updated the software, the headset issue was also "restored" to its annoying and frustrating recurrance.After calling RIM support again, they concluded, as I already had, that THIS ISSUE IS NOT A HARDWARE PROBLEM.
2. The Software Problem Theory
In this scenario, either a recent update to the OS or some other unknown software issue (3rd party software or beta releases) is causing the malfunction.Proposed solutions have ranged from various sequences of settings changes to actual wiping and reinstalling software. Neither of the above have worked consistently either.I have heard from some people that downgrading software (to .75) has resolved the issue. However, this of course will return BB Storm users back to the stone age and all the original bugs and annoyances that the update was supposed to fix! So I am going to try this (the lesser of two evils I suppose). I will update this post after I see what happens.
FYI: The official word from RIM Tech Support is that the issue is undergoing research and is a known problem that is unresolved. Hopefully a fix will be released in the near future (crosses fingers).
So I went ahead and tried downgrading my OS to .75 to see if that would fix the problem. Obviously, downgrading is not fun, but thanks to BB Desktop and ability to back up settings, it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.WELL I AM HAPPY TO REPORT THAT IT WORKED! If you are unable to resolve this problem via the "wiggle method" then DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME GETTING THE PHONE REPLACED. I repeat: Warranty replacement will not resolve this issue. Simply downgrade to OS 22.214.171.124 and you will no longer have this issue. RIM will release a fix in next upgrade or a hot fix if they are able to resolve this issue before then.