BB Storm2 9550/9520 :: Time Zone Changed - How To Reset
May 19, 2010
So I live in california and traveled to hawaii. Time adjusted fine but when I hooked up my storm2 to my laptop thru usb to use tether it reverted back to California time. Now my laptop is still set to cali time but why would it change my phone? I tried a reset and *228 but its still on california time.
My Storm II about a week ago started doing this Updating Time Zone. When it does it, it does it about every three minutes, switching to another time zone and then coming back to the one it belongs in. This is getting frustrating as it messes up my calendar and I keep getting these meeting notices. I have removed the battery and that has not helped. At first I thought it was when I was in areas with bad coverage but today it was doing it while in Minneapolis Minnesota. Anyone else having this trouble and what did you do? I have updated the Roaming and it still does it.
I'm having trouble getting my S2 to reset automatically. I've always used QuickPull on previous fones but it won't work on my S2. I've also tried the reset function in MeterBerry but that won't do the trick either. In fact, the only soft reset I'm able to perform is a manual one using QuickLaunch. Any suggestions?
So now I am on my 3rd Storm2.. Gettign very frustrated....
i have been back and forth pretty much DAILY with VZW... My phone seems to drop signal left and right... it will show full then none then full... it goes up and down all the time no matter where i am... VZW has given me 3 phones, a new phone # hoping that will solve the issue... NOTHING IS WORKING!! they have had 3 different troblue tickets opened and said there was a tower issue by my house! what a crock of **** that was... 3 BB in the house 2 Storm2's 1 tour and a VZW Mobile broadband card and my phone is the only one with this issue...
now i have my 4th phone on the way since November... i never had a problem with my curve like this.. this issue is causing my battery to drain form 4%-25% hour... (depends on the day)
I have done full wipes and restores, full wipes and manual Restores, Upgrading OS's, *228, new phone #, New phones.... i am getting frustrated because i am missing alot of calls and some days i cant even use my phone...
they also have yet another trouble ticket opened... lets see how this goes...
I finally updated my alltel account to verizon, and went with the Storm 2. So far I like it, anything I need to know about this phone?
One thing I have to ask is I noticed my battery isnt as good as my old phone, I was searching around and noticed some people switch from Global to 1XEV, what exactly is the diffrence, I switched mine but havent had a chance to see what the diffrence is. I did notice that sometimes under my signal bars that it said 1X, then went to 3G, then i caught it earlier saying searching for CDMA(i think thats what it said"not sure").
Good evening everybody. For several days I had noticed that my BB ( 9550 Storm 2, Verizon Wireless, about one year old, v 18.104.22.1683[Bundle 1206, Platform 22.214.171.1243) would consume the batterly life much faster ( in less than 12 hours, I would have to charge it again), I went to the store and gave me some tips about how to conserve energy and such and did not think I needed a new battery. Finally on Thursday it would go into a loop of freezing and resetting and then freezing again , and resetting, for hours. I had synchronized the device the night before. So ,I decided to go for a hard reset. NOw, in spite of the sync'ing, I don't have my contacts in the device and, what is worse, I don't know where to look for them in my laptop.
Noticed that anything using the wireless data was going really slow and then it just stopped any transmission. Took it off the wifi to see if there was any difference, same thing... and then a popup appeared that said DNS and a button ok... the screen locked up so I couldn't click anywhere on the screen, so I did a battery pull.
Now after the battery pull it gets to the blackberry loading screen. It loads to approx. 20%, then theres a white screen with text in a very small font and a button reset in the middle. This appears in less then a second, and the screen is locked so i can't press reset. It now does this a continuous cycle.
I don't know if this is a result of OS .607, but every time I get a notification, either an SMS, MMS, FB notification, etc, and I remove the device from my magnetic holster, the thing stays frozen for about 30 seconds before it allows me to put in my code and unlock the phone (btw, I use pattern lock). As I said, I don't know if its because of OS .607, but it has been happening a lot lately. It also does not flip around which also tells me that the device is frozen for a short time before I am able to put in my swipe code... or see the screen flip
Didn't know where else to put this, since Idk if it's a 9550 only thing or all BB's, but when I receive a text message I like to know when I received it, or how long ago. But whenever I tap the received message it always says received one minute ago, unless it was on an earlier date. But, if I get a text at 8am and check it at noon, then tap on it, it says received one minute ago. Any way to fix this?
I had to take my phone up to verizon store to check it out and I watched the tech go to the Options menu, bring up the keyboard, type somthing in, and the phone reset like it does with Quickpull or a battery pull....
Went to "MY WORLD" and tries to log in to retrieve my purchased apps as I've done tons of times before. It 1st says please wait retrieving then. Unable to authenticate user at this time. please try again later. It's said this all day. The user and password are def. correct.
Symptom: Calendar takes ~5 seconds to load. Upon loading, another ~5 seconds till it will respond to any activity. I have it default to Agenda view, as I always have. Prior to v126.96.36.1997 this was NEVER an issue. Work-around: If I turn "show free time" to ON, then it works perfect. Loads instantly, scrolls instantly, etc. However, turned OFF, it reverts to issue above.Problem is that I really don't want to show the free time on my view. Whom else has this issue, anyone? Does anyone know how to resolve this?
I have scrolled through the forums reading about both these phones and i have a few questions
1.What i am still unsure of is which phone is better suited to Canadian phone companies neither will get 3g coverage but will one work better than the other like will they both get 2.5g coverage?
2. Also i have read that possibly the 9520 will be comin to rogers but i havnt heard anything recent on it does anyone have news on a release date or anything?
3. Right now i am thinkin of buyin the storm 9550 from telus and either goin with fido or terminate my contract with them and stay with telus or move to rogers. Is there a company that is better suited to the storm 2 or will either giv me 2.5g?
607-based download here 9550/9520. instructions: 1. install 188.8.131.527 to pc.
2. install this over 184.108.40.2067 folder
2a. shrink your os if you want
3. install to phone this hybrid includes: - .732 in about screen - 150+ .748/.732 files including browser - the rest .689+ - latest: app world, bbm, docs2go, facebook, twitter - bbhybrids launcher (optional) - shrink-a-os (optional, but recommended) - bbsak (optional, excellent tool) - blackberry master control program (optional, another excellent tool) - multi-language support download here
517-580-based download here 9550 instructions:
1. install 220.127.116.117 to pc
2. install this over 18.104.22.1687 folder
2a. shrink your os if you want
3. install to phone 9520 instructions: 1. install 22.214.171.1240 to pc
2. install this over 126.96.36.1990 folder
2a. shrink your os if you want
3. install to phone download here this hybrid includes: - .608 in about screen - 120+ .748/.732 files including browser - the rest .580 files/6xx - latest: app world, bbm, docs2go, facebook, twitter - bbhybrids launcher (optional) - shrink-a-os (optional, but recommended) - bbsak (optional, excellent tool) - blackberry master control program (optional, another excellent tool) - multi-language support both hybrids: added apps: - bbhybrids theme (by rellims) - bbscanner - berryblab (vbulletin client) - bolt/opera5 browser choices - google maps - poynt - quickpull free - ubertwitter - Internet
I guinea pigged this, and can confirm it works...partially !!! Install .451, replace java folder with .497, then copy and paste .484 java over that... (NOTE: you may experience an app error reset, just let it reboot and you should be fine!)
I've been thinking of getting a Blackberry for quite some time now and decided to get the storm2 due to it's larger screen.I m located in Canada and using Fido (or Rogers). So I could get either one right? But why do I hear some rumors that 9550 is not so good on GSM as the 9520? Should I get 9550 or 9520? I wont be using the CDMA at all, but it seems that I could get 9550 a lot easier than 9520 in Canada.
I live in South Africa. I do not find a South African time zone in the list. If I use another city in the +2-hour time zone, my clock time is 1 hour fast. Does it matter to the other applications if a different time zone is selected? Can one perhaps download an augmented time zone list?
First I would like to say hello to my fellow berry folks. This is my first post on this site. I was a regular on blackberryforums.com but I see there is a greater following on crackberry, so I'll share my story here...... I have AT&T for my carrier and I was up for an phone upgrade. A few months ago I purchased a brand new 9550 (had the Pearl2 before that and the original Pearl before that!) that was unlocked and I loved it!!! Since this was a Verizon phone, I could not use AT&T's 3G network so I decided to go with the "next best thing", the Iphone. Well, 24 hours later I was returning the phone back to the story. I was unimpressed. Here are the reasons why, though they may seem petty, was enough for me to give it back.........
1. No LED status indicator. I didn't realize how much I actually depended on this. For example, if you get a text or better yet miss a text, you MUST push the home button to turn the screen on to see if you received a text or not. With the Blackberry, a quick glance at the status indicator LED would let you know that. This will never be capiable with any current Iphone as they do not have any such "bulb". There are apps that can "flash" the screen but I can imagine that would play a big part in the battery life. I've read on a few Iphone forums that the users wish they had an LED indicator, while other said that it would be annoying to have this feature. But as annoying as it may be, it is an OPTION with the Blackberry.
2. No sound profiles. Well, it actually has two. Silent, which you only have the option to change vibrate to on/off. The other option is just a general option where you can change the loudness on the ring via a slider. There is a Sound Profile app that'll cost you about $7.
3. You cannot use any apps outside the Apple App store unless you "jailbreak" it. Jailbreaking will void your warranty. We all already know Blackberry is open to all outside apps.
4. Home screen does not "flip" when turned to landscape. May be an app for that.
5. Scary to think what happens to this phone when the battery actually dies, since you can't replace it (not a reason to totally ditch the phone but worth noting).
A few things that were pretty sweet on the Iphone........
1. Safari. Very nice and extremely user friendly. Was very fast but I don't have anything to compare it with since my Blackberry could not use the 3G network. Hopefully RIMs new browser will be up to par.
2. A trillion apps..........Nuff said........It'll be quite awhile for Blackberry to catch up in that department. But my guess it that 95% of Apples apps are pretty useless.
3. No clicking. This is bitter/sweet for me. For typing, clicking is a MUST for me and I missed it dearly. But for larger "depressions" like icons and such where mistakes are minimal due to the fact of the larger area to push on, a simple tap on the screen was very nice. I wish a "tap not click" was an option on the Blackberry, as I would be tapping icons and clicking text.
I just got a replacement Storm 2 dated Mar 6, 2010. My old Storm worked pretty well but sometimes the bottom row buttons would stick, especially when using the Seidio extended battery with the plastic battery cover. I have a week or so to try both out before sending back the old one.
The new screen feels more... buttery. Its smooth. Buttery smooth. The old screen is clickier. The bottom row buttons on the new screen are a little sloppy compared to when you press the middle of the screen. Does anyone else notice this? I don't like that.But so far the new screen hasn't locked up on the bottom row as much, especially when trying to use it while the Storm is lying on a table.
For typing, the old screen seems just a bit faster, maybe just a bit less pressure required. New screen is a bit harder to type on but smoother.The old screen has a warmer white color than the old, but that is OK the old was fairly "blue".I don't know for sure yet which I like better! But will update here as I find more. If new screen prevents "hard button" syndrome than that's probably enough.
When I put my micro Sd card into my PC I see there is a file within Blacberry marked "E-Books", however if I put any e-books into that file and put the card back into my Blackberry, I cannot no longer find that file in the various icons on the screen to even try and read the e-books.
I suppose no one has yet tried to load the java from .741 (9520) with the 713 radio for the 9550 yet. If someone gets to this before I do, please post your findings (most importantly the issue with making and ending phone calls on the previous radio versions not functioning properly). Once I get to work, I'll load it up and let you know my findings if no one has done it yet. It'll be several hours though.