BB Storm2 9550/9520 :: 9520 .497 JAVA Works Well With 9550 .451 Radio
Feb 15, 2010
I guinea pigged this, and can confirm it works...partially !!! Install .451, replace java folder with .497, then copy and paste .484 java over that... (NOTE: you may experience an app error reset, just let it reboot and you should be fine!)
I suppose no one has yet tried to load the java from .741 (9520) with the 713 radio for the 9550 yet. If someone gets to this before I do, please post your findings (most importantly the issue with making and ending phone calls on the previous radio versions not functioning properly). Once I get to work, I'll load it up and let you know my findings if no one has done it yet. It'll be several hours though.
I have scrolled through the forums reading about both these phones and i have a few questions
1.What i am still unsure of is which phone is better suited to Canadian phone companies neither will get 3g coverage but will one work better than the other like will they both get 2.5g coverage?
2. Also i have read that possibly the 9520 will be comin to rogers but i havnt heard anything recent on it does anyone have news on a release date or anything?
3. Right now i am thinkin of buyin the storm 9550 from telus and either goin with fido or terminate my contract with them and stay with telus or move to rogers. Is there a company that is better suited to the storm 2 or will either giv me 2.5g?
607-based download here 9550/9520. instructions: 1. install 126.96.36.1997 to pc.
2. install this over 188.8.131.527 folder
2a. shrink your os if you want
3. install to phone this hybrid includes: - .732 in about screen - 150+ .748/.732 files including browser - the rest .689+ - latest: app world, bbm, docs2go, facebook, twitter - bbhybrids launcher (optional) - shrink-a-os (optional, but recommended) - bbsak (optional, excellent tool) - blackberry master control program (optional, another excellent tool) - multi-language support download here
517-580-based download here 9550 instructions:
1. install 184.108.40.2067 to pc
2. install this over 220.127.116.117 folder
2a. shrink your os if you want
3. install to phone 9520 instructions: 1. install 18.104.22.1680 to pc
2. install this over 22.214.171.1240 folder
2a. shrink your os if you want
3. install to phone download here this hybrid includes: - .608 in about screen - 120+ .748/.732 files including browser - the rest .580 files/6xx - latest: app world, bbm, docs2go, facebook, twitter - bbhybrids launcher (optional) - shrink-a-os (optional, but recommended) - bbsak (optional, excellent tool) - blackberry master control program (optional, another excellent tool) - multi-language support both hybrids: added apps: - bbhybrids theme (by rellims) - bbscanner - berryblab (vbulletin client) - bolt/opera5 browser choices - google maps - poynt - quickpull free - ubertwitter - Internet
I've been thinking of getting a Blackberry for quite some time now and decided to get the storm2 due to it's larger screen.I m located in Canada and using Fido (or Rogers). So I could get either one right? But why do I hear some rumors that 9550 is not so good on GSM as the 9520? Should I get 9550 or 9520? I wont be using the CDMA at all, but it seems that I could get 9550 a lot easier than 9520 in Canada.
I have a Storm2, only a month old. The end button hardly works and i am getting double clicking. After reading on the forum i thought maybe it was the theme i downloaded on Friday. All these issues started right after that so i uninstalled it.
I moved a ringtone file into the ringtone folder using the software that came with my Storm 2. After I did that I disconnected it to try it. My phone froze so I turned it off then back on. When it came back on I got an error. So I plugged it back into my computer and removed it from the ringtones file. Now NONE of the other ringtones that came with my phone work. I just get this error message over and over and over.
Whenever I put my storm2 on the charging dock at night to go to sleep, I put it into bedside mode. The problem is when I wake up the radio is off.How do I get the radio / mobile network to not turn off automatically? There are times when I need to be on call at night and I need to be able to receive calls. Also, there when I put it on the charging dock the battery is more than 50%.
I listen to Slacker radio all the time, but sometimes in the middle of a song, the volume the cranks up. I'll be sitting in the library listening to music, doing homework without touching the phone, then the next thing I know the volume increases x1.5, then I have to turn it down manually, even though the volume adjuster is the same as before. I haven't noticed this using Windows Media Player, but I use Slacker 85% more than anything else. Has anyone else experienced this, or is my phone defective?
I just upgraded to .517, and it has occurred on both OS'.
I doubt their answer is going to help anyone, but here goes.they said to disable the firewall.
and to set ALL permissions to "allow".Seems like a funny couple of tips, seeing as how I told them the problem I had was intermittent loud volume and skipping songs randomly. I had also mentioned that album art was missing in the previous version of slacker--something that's been working since I upgraded BEFORE I emailed them.
anyway, that's what they told me to do. nothing else. sigh. No word of them working on a new release, which is what I wanted (chuckle) to hear.
First I would like to say hello to my fellow berry folks. This is my first post on this site. I was a regular on blackberryforums.com but I see there is a greater following on crackberry, so I'll share my story here...... I have AT&T for my carrier and I was up for an phone upgrade. A few months ago I purchased a brand new 9550 (had the Pearl2 before that and the original Pearl before that!) that was unlocked and I loved it!!! Since this was a Verizon phone, I could not use AT&T's 3G network so I decided to go with the "next best thing", the Iphone. Well, 24 hours later I was returning the phone back to the story. I was unimpressed. Here are the reasons why, though they may seem petty, was enough for me to give it back.........
1. No LED status indicator. I didn't realize how much I actually depended on this. For example, if you get a text or better yet miss a text, you MUST push the home button to turn the screen on to see if you received a text or not. With the Blackberry, a quick glance at the status indicator LED would let you know that. This will never be capiable with any current Iphone as they do not have any such "bulb". There are apps that can "flash" the screen but I can imagine that would play a big part in the battery life. I've read on a few Iphone forums that the users wish they had an LED indicator, while other said that it would be annoying to have this feature. But as annoying as it may be, it is an OPTION with the Blackberry.
2. No sound profiles. Well, it actually has two. Silent, which you only have the option to change vibrate to on/off. The other option is just a general option where you can change the loudness on the ring via a slider. There is a Sound Profile app that'll cost you about $7.
3. You cannot use any apps outside the Apple App store unless you "jailbreak" it. Jailbreaking will void your warranty. We all already know Blackberry is open to all outside apps.
4. Home screen does not "flip" when turned to landscape. May be an app for that.
5. Scary to think what happens to this phone when the battery actually dies, since you can't replace it (not a reason to totally ditch the phone but worth noting).
A few things that were pretty sweet on the Iphone........
1. Safari. Very nice and extremely user friendly. Was very fast but I don't have anything to compare it with since my Blackberry could not use the 3G network. Hopefully RIMs new browser will be up to par.
2. A trillion apps..........Nuff said........It'll be quite awhile for Blackberry to catch up in that department. But my guess it that 95% of Apples apps are pretty useless.
3. No clicking. This is bitter/sweet for me. For typing, clicking is a MUST for me and I missed it dearly. But for larger "depressions" like icons and such where mistakes are minimal due to the fact of the larger area to push on, a simple tap on the screen was very nice. I wish a "tap not click" was an option on the Blackberry, as I would be tapping icons and clicking text.
I am thinking of buying a used BlackBerry Storm. I originally was just going to buy one and use it on Page Plus Cellular, but with what is going on with Page Plus Cellular I am now wondering if I should just use this in T-Mobile prepaid. Does this need to be unlocked to use it on GSM in the US?
I am wondering if it is possible to install an OS designed for the 9520 on to the 9550. I need to do this in order to have Chinese input (unless someone else knows a way to do this?) enabled on my 9550.
This is the entire .643 Java folder with a few 612 files to make it all work. Will show .643 in the Help-->About screen 9550 - Install 607, replace the files in the .607 java folder with the hybrid files and install.9520 - Install 612, replace the files in the .612 java folder with the hybrid files and install. Links:URL... 517 radio/ 580 radio version - Should show .580 in Help-->About screen 9550 - Install 517, replace the files in the .607 java folder with the hybrid files and install.9520 - Install 580, replace the files in the .612 java folder with the hybrid files and install. Links:URL...
This is the entire .669 Java folder with a few 612 files to make it all work.Will show .669 in the Help-->About screen 9550 - Install 607, replace the files in the .607 java folder with the hybrid files and install.9520 - Install 612, replace the files in the .612 java folder with the hybrid files and install. Links:URL... Alt Links:URL...
Will show .692 in the Help-->About screen 9550 - Install 607, replace the files in the .607 java folder with the hybrid files and install.9520 - Install 612, replace the files in the .612 java folder with the hybrid files and install.
Links: URL... Alt Links: URL...
517 radio/ 580 radio version - Should show .580 in Help-->About screen 9550 - Install 517, replace the files in the .517 java folder with the hybrid files and install.9520 - Install 580, replace the files in the .580 java folder with the hybrid files and install.
Here is another installment of another great Hybrid for you. Please feel free to download and enjoy! I must apologize for being delayed on the forum if there are any questions that need to be answered. This is a 517/553/586/591 Hybrid. Enjoy !Driphter.com - Seanren78 95xx v8.5
When I put my micro Sd card into my PC I see there is a file within Blacberry marked "E-Books", however if I put any e-books into that file and put the card back into my Blackberry, I cannot no longer find that file in the various icons on the screen to even try and read the e-books.
My storm 9550 is currently running .320 which is not the newest release. Everytime I download the OS onto my computer (.517 and .607) I do the whole downloading process delete the vendor, go to application loader, it says new updates available for your phone, it does the whole downloading process but my phone still ends up with .320 --no changes. Am I missing a step, am I not supposed to delete the vendor.xml file or something.
I have Verizon 9550 Storm 2. Before the unlocking the 3G and WiFi both have worked fine ! After the unlocking the Internet on my phone did stop work ! The WiFi connection pass fine but when I start the browser and try to open some site there is appear the message:
Does anyone know if there is a shortcut to change my Blackberry 9520 profiles? I want a quick button that puts my phone onto silent. I've owned a Blackberry Bold 9000 before and it has it's own dedicated silent key. Is there such key/shortcut for Storm2 9520?
I'm looking at getting my wife a S2 as she doesn't like other BB's (she currently uses a 8220). We are on T-Mobile here in the Twin Cities (MN) and wanted to know if anyone here has used a S2 on the TMO network here locally. I know 3G won't work on it, which isn't a big deal since she's not a big downloader.How's the network coverage? Any weirdness to the phone at all? I'll be selling my 8900 and possibly her 8220 (it's pretty hacked) after we buy this one so I want to make sure this phone works for her.
I have a bold 9700 right now and my dad is looking for a phone and he wants a bold 9700. before i get him one im wondering if i should get a different phone and give him my bold. I love the bold but the couple things that have been really bothering me are the dropped calls and over crappy service.
Hows the 9550 on telus? and would u guys suggest switching to one? Hows the keyboard for someone thats used to a physical keyboard? the only two phones i have had are the tour and bold 9700 and i really like the keyboard, but im willing to get something thats not as good for a bigger screen. I just dont want anything thats glitchy. Im pretty picky about my electronics and especially for my phone i just want it to work.
So basically my real question is is it worth it to switch to the storm? and are there any issues with the phone that someone thats a bit finicky would be pissed off at? (im not obsessed about little issues but keyboard is a huge deal to me)
Edit* and is the storm 9520 out? and does it run on hspa bands? id like to stick to gsm and not switch back to cdma :/. and any other suggestions for phones if you dont think the s2 fits?
Edit 2* and whats all this about a 9550 gsm? is the 9550 a "world" phone? and if its gsm im assuming its the international gsm bands and i cant get gsm on telus?