BB Storm2 9550/9520 :: Storm 9550 Wont Update Its Software
Apr 1, 2010
My storm 9550 is currently running .320 which is not the newest release. Everytime I download the OS onto my computer (.517 and .607) I do the whole downloading process delete the vendor, go to application loader, it says new updates available for your phone, it does the whole downloading process but my phone still ends up with .320 --no changes. Am I missing a step, am I not supposed to delete the vendor.xml file or something.
I have Verizon 9550 Storm 2. Before the unlocking the 3G and WiFi both have worked fine ! After the unlocking the Internet on my phone did stop work ! The WiFi connection pass fine but when I start the browser and try to open some site there is appear the message:
I have a bold 9700 right now and my dad is looking for a phone and he wants a bold 9700. before i get him one im wondering if i should get a different phone and give him my bold. I love the bold but the couple things that have been really bothering me are the dropped calls and over crappy service.
Hows the 9550 on telus? and would u guys suggest switching to one? Hows the keyboard for someone thats used to a physical keyboard? the only two phones i have had are the tour and bold 9700 and i really like the keyboard, but im willing to get something thats not as good for a bigger screen. I just dont want anything thats glitchy. Im pretty picky about my electronics and especially for my phone i just want it to work.
So basically my real question is is it worth it to switch to the storm? and are there any issues with the phone that someone thats a bit finicky would be pissed off at? (im not obsessed about little issues but keyboard is a huge deal to me)
Edit* and is the storm 9520 out? and does it run on hspa bands? id like to stick to gsm and not switch back to cdma :/. and any other suggestions for phones if you dont think the s2 fits?
Edit 2* and whats all this about a 9550 gsm? is the 9550 a "world" phone? and if its gsm im assuming its the international gsm bands and i cant get gsm on telus?
While updating to the latest OS for the 9550 my phone just froze up with a code on the screen "Reload Software: 507". It was in the middle of the update when the pop-up on my computer said it could not connect. I hit retry about 5 times. I then did a battery pull but the error came back.
First I would like to say hello to my fellow berry folks. This is my first post on this site. I was a regular on blackberryforums.com but I see there is a greater following on crackberry, so I'll share my story here...... I have AT&T for my carrier and I was up for an phone upgrade. A few months ago I purchased a brand new 9550 (had the Pearl2 before that and the original Pearl before that!) that was unlocked and I loved it!!! Since this was a Verizon phone, I could not use AT&T's 3G network so I decided to go with the "next best thing", the Iphone. Well, 24 hours later I was returning the phone back to the story. I was unimpressed. Here are the reasons why, though they may seem petty, was enough for me to give it back.........
1. No LED status indicator. I didn't realize how much I actually depended on this. For example, if you get a text or better yet miss a text, you MUST push the home button to turn the screen on to see if you received a text or not. With the Blackberry, a quick glance at the status indicator LED would let you know that. This will never be capiable with any current Iphone as they do not have any such "bulb". There are apps that can "flash" the screen but I can imagine that would play a big part in the battery life. I've read on a few Iphone forums that the users wish they had an LED indicator, while other said that it would be annoying to have this feature. But as annoying as it may be, it is an OPTION with the Blackberry.
2. No sound profiles. Well, it actually has two. Silent, which you only have the option to change vibrate to on/off. The other option is just a general option where you can change the loudness on the ring via a slider. There is a Sound Profile app that'll cost you about $7.
3. You cannot use any apps outside the Apple App store unless you "jailbreak" it. Jailbreaking will void your warranty. We all already know Blackberry is open to all outside apps.
4. Home screen does not "flip" when turned to landscape. May be an app for that.
5. Scary to think what happens to this phone when the battery actually dies, since you can't replace it (not a reason to totally ditch the phone but worth noting).
A few things that were pretty sweet on the Iphone........
1. Safari. Very nice and extremely user friendly. Was very fast but I don't have anything to compare it with since my Blackberry could not use the 3G network. Hopefully RIMs new browser will be up to par.
2. A trillion apps..........Nuff said........It'll be quite awhile for Blackberry to catch up in that department. But my guess it that 95% of Apples apps are pretty useless.
3. No clicking. This is bitter/sweet for me. For typing, clicking is a MUST for me and I missed it dearly. But for larger "depressions" like icons and such where mistakes are minimal due to the fact of the larger area to push on, a simple tap on the screen was very nice. I wish a "tap not click" was an option on the Blackberry, as I would be tapping icons and clicking text.
I have scrolled through the forums reading about both these phones and i have a few questions
1.What i am still unsure of is which phone is better suited to Canadian phone companies neither will get 3g coverage but will one work better than the other like will they both get 2.5g coverage?
2. Also i have read that possibly the 9520 will be comin to rogers but i havnt heard anything recent on it does anyone have news on a release date or anything?
3. Right now i am thinkin of buyin the storm 9550 from telus and either goin with fido or terminate my contract with them and stay with telus or move to rogers. Is there a company that is better suited to the storm 2 or will either giv me 2.5g?
Anyone know how to move saved messages from the Storm to Storm 2?I recently dropped my Storm in the pool, got the new Storm 2 got all my contacts back but can't figure out how to transfer these messages.
607-based download here 9550/9520. instructions: 1. install 22.214.171.1247 to pc.
2. install this over 126.96.36.1997 folder
2a. shrink your os if you want
3. install to phone this hybrid includes: - .732 in about screen - 150+ .748/.732 files including browser - the rest .689+ - latest: app world, bbm, docs2go, facebook, twitter - bbhybrids launcher (optional) - shrink-a-os (optional, but recommended) - bbsak (optional, excellent tool) - blackberry master control program (optional, another excellent tool) - multi-language support download here
517-580-based download here 9550 instructions:
1. install 188.8.131.527 to pc
2. install this over 184.108.40.2067 folder
2a. shrink your os if you want
3. install to phone 9520 instructions: 1. install 220.127.116.110 to pc
2. install this over 18.104.22.1680 folder
2a. shrink your os if you want
3. install to phone download here this hybrid includes: - .608 in about screen - 120+ .748/.732 files including browser - the rest .580 files/6xx - latest: app world, bbm, docs2go, facebook, twitter - bbhybrids launcher (optional) - shrink-a-os (optional, but recommended) - bbsak (optional, excellent tool) - blackberry master control program (optional, another excellent tool) - multi-language support both hybrids: added apps: - bbhybrids theme (by rellims) - bbscanner - berryblab (vbulletin client) - bolt/opera5 browser choices - google maps - poynt - quickpull free - ubertwitter - Internet
I guinea pigged this, and can confirm it works...partially !!! Install .451, replace java folder with .497, then copy and paste .484 java over that... (NOTE: you may experience an app error reset, just let it reboot and you should be fine!)
I had eight brand new storm replacements! Now seven storm 2 replacements and also on my way is my first "like new" storm 2! I hope It is in good shape! Also should I take the chance and download the leaked OS?
I have a Storm2, only a month old. The end button hardly works and i am getting double clicking. After reading on the forum i thought maybe it was the theme i downloaded on Friday. All these issues started right after that so i uninstalled it.
I have a storm 2 9520. After charging my phone up today I have noticed an error, a very annoying error infact! I have done several battery pulls but I am unable to see my homescreen. Nothing I do loads up my homescreen. If I was to navigate I need to hold down the BB key or press the green button to make a call. Also I can not bring up any icons at all.
I'm a current owner of the BB 9700 Bold 2 (for private purposes only) and I love the keyboard and the (email) software overall. However, I somehow dislike the overall build quality .I want to buy another BB - the Storm 2. Will I be satisfied with the Storm 2 by means of typing speed and build quality? What are the other main differences between those two BBs (besides the obvious ). And moreover: Should I buy the Storm 2 now or should I wait for a newer device?!
This has bugged me ever since I first got my Storm2 during the week it was released and has not changed after going from 320 to 607!
In my messages list I always see the Names/Numbers of those who have left voicemails EVEN AFTER I delete the original VM in Visual VM. Not only that - when I delete it out of the (email) messages list....they come right back!
And the failures continue... The phone sucks and the apps suck.... And to all the storm sack riders. THE PHONE IS A LET DOWN!!!!! Storm1 on opening day and then the "awesome" storm 2 Mar/10 The phone is still a joke/but I'm still holding out.... I hate apple, butttt...
I use Gmail.When I send an email, I get a confirmation or secondary message on the Storm 2.How do you stop this?I had the original Storm, and somehow fixed this issue. Can't figure out how to do it on the S2.
Just upgraded from the Curve to the Storm 2. Love the look and feel, BUT I can't type at all on this thing! It takes me 12 tries to type a 5 letter word. I keep thinking I am hitting the correct key but hit the key next to it. I am praying it is just practice and then it will be better,
I just received my new storm 2 after replacing the first because the screen wouldn't click in the corner. I made sure I got one with a march 5th branding so I had the updated screen. Earlier today the send, Menu, Return, and End keys plus the screen right next to the started this "TINKing" noise. The other side still "clicks".
My Storm 2 started doing something strange last couple of days.I have had it since the day Verizon made the Storm 2 available. When going to bed, the battery is almost fully charged. About 8 hours later it beeps and when checked the battery is dead.Phone is in standby, i.e. display off, and no apps running.I took it into Verizon and they had no clue.
I have searched the forums for this and found only problems on the storm 1. I have just switched to the storm 2 after having the storm 1 for almost a year. With the storm 1 almost 95% of the time all I could get the phone to do was the default BB tone for sms,mms and email tones. No matter what I did. Now with storm 2, I thought i would finally have a phone that you could customize the alerts for sms,mms and email.Nope, 99% of the time, just the default tone for all three even with different tones selected and saved.
I just got my new Moto Droid in and am making that switch today! It was nice working with all the blackberry members! I will be on the website still, however just in the andriod section. The Storm 2 wasn't much of a big thrill over the storm 1 imho. It was nice not having to pull the batt every 8 hours tho!
My wife and I both have Storm2s which we are obviously running on Verizon Wireless.We have the same official operating system (.713) and each have some apps. I tend to have more apps so she actually has a little bit more memory.
Lately she's been complaining that her phone has been running really slow loading up websites. I did a little side-by-side test with our blackberries.
I did the same search on the google mobile app (for Adam Sandler) and clicked on the wikipedia link at the exact same time. Mine launched the browser, loaded the wiki page and was completely done before her browser even stopped showing the word "blackberry".
She also consistently has a lower quality signal (by using the Quick Launch "Device Info" option I can easily see signal strength on both of our phones).So, my question is, what is causing her blackberry to have a lower quality signal than mine when we are in the same exact location, on the same network, running the same O.S., etc.?
I've been thinking of getting a Blackberry for quite some time now and decided to get the storm2 due to it's larger screen.I m located in Canada and using Fido (or Rogers). So I could get either one right? But why do I hear some rumors that 9550 is not so good on GSM as the 9520? Should I get 9550 or 9520? I wont be using the CDMA at all, but it seems that I could get 9550 a lot easier than 9520 in Canada.
Is there a way to disable the way the Storm 2 deletes letters or words, that slider bar thingy's a lot of crap & takes ages to do.When typing a word if before sending you notice a typo then to back & fix it is a pain in the ***