BB Storm2 9550/9520 :: Can Connect To Home Network
Apr 4, 2010
1. so storm 2 has wifi does this mean i can connect to my home network and various other hotspots internet browsing using wifi download etc.... at the same 29.99$ verizon rate and how much do you actually use it?
2. does this also mean i still need something else to give my laptop internet while out on the road
3. is there something out right now that will allow storm 2 to act as a hotspot for my laptop or other devices
I'm looking at getting my wife a S2 as she doesn't like other BB's (she currently uses a 8220). We are on T-Mobile here in the Twin Cities (MN) and wanted to know if anyone here has used a S2 on the TMO network here locally. I know 3G won't work on it, which isn't a big deal since she's not a big downloader.How's the network coverage? Any weirdness to the phone at all? I'll be selling my 8900 and possibly her 8220 (it's pretty hacked) after we buy this one so I want to make sure this phone works for her.
Hey guys ! so umm I got an Iphone 3gs last night.APPS are unreal but I am not really impressed with their whole email set up. So anyways I am looking to get a storm the 9550. I need some help as to from who I should be getting it.I am currently with Rogers and I can't cancel my plan with them. If I buy an unlocked one from Telus will the Rogers 3G work on it ? What American providers will work on the Rogers frequency so I can get 3G coverage ?I know the Verizon one is out of the question as it runs on different frequencies.
A Verizon Storm2 I bought used from a Vz customer who switched to an Android. Sold me the phone without the Vz sim in it, I didn't know I needed it. Got an unlock code and tried to enter ir with the T-mo sim in it, says no valid sim card.Always comes up with "do you want to enter MEP unlock code" after pulling battery, but when I press yes nothing happens. This is with the original Vz sim installed which I realized I did need to enter the unlock code.Going to the sim screen shows "no valid sim card" so I can't get to the MEP2 screen to enter the unlock code, this is with the original Vz sim installed.I want to use this on T-mo but am willing to register it on Vz long enough to unlock it, but even Vz says it's blocked.
Just bought a new Ford Taurus and can't get my Storm2 to connect to the SYNC. I had no problems with a previous Motorola visor mount. I went into the 'help' under the Blue tooth options and followed those instructions but it still won't connect.
I just updated my 9550's OS to the leaked .428 and the transition was fine besides one issue. The e-mail icon is stuck on my screen. I've read a few threads with this issue and tried every fix they had, nothing has worked. I think I've found the cause of the issue, but don't have a resolution. When I loaded the OS, I had two new Facebook messages. When the OS loaded, the OS recognized them as e-mails until I activated the Facebook app. When it loaded, the Facebook icon popped up on the homescreen, but the e-mail icon didn't disappear.
Some steps I've taken to try to resolve the issue: 1) Check all message locations, including SMS, MMS, BBM, e-mails, etc. There are no new messages anywhere. 2) Deleted both e-mail accounts from my phone, didn't take it away. 3) Backed up my data and wiped/restored. 4) Deleted Facebook as an app, then backed up the data and wiped/restored. Even without Facebook as an app the e-mail icon is still there. 5) Went to Options, Advanced Options, Host Routing Table, Register Now. 6) Went to Options, Advanced, Service Book, deleted my e-mail from there.
I loaded .428 on my S2 yesterday. In the past with .320 I have always renamed the Setup folder to Tools. Either one cant with .428 or I cant find a way to do it. With .320 you just highlight the folder you wish to rename, hit menu and choose rename. Not so with .428
Does anyone know how (or if you can) get SMS text msgs to display under "Messages" on the home screen? I just upgraded from the Curve to the Storm2 and I am used to being able to see a portion of the unread SMS msg on my home screen..
I have scrolled through the forums reading about both these phones and i have a few questions
1.What i am still unsure of is which phone is better suited to Canadian phone companies neither will get 3g coverage but will one work better than the other like will they both get 2.5g coverage?
2. Also i have read that possibly the 9520 will be comin to rogers but i havnt heard anything recent on it does anyone have news on a release date or anything?
3. Right now i am thinkin of buyin the storm 9550 from telus and either goin with fido or terminate my contract with them and stay with telus or move to rogers. Is there a company that is better suited to the storm 2 or will either giv me 2.5g?
607-based download here 9550/9520. instructions: 1. install 22.214.171.1247 to pc.
2. install this over 126.96.36.1997 folder
2a. shrink your os if you want
3. install to phone this hybrid includes: - .732 in about screen - 150+ .748/.732 files including browser - the rest .689+ - latest: app world, bbm, docs2go, facebook, twitter - bbhybrids launcher (optional) - shrink-a-os (optional, but recommended) - bbsak (optional, excellent tool) - blackberry master control program (optional, another excellent tool) - multi-language support download here
517-580-based download here 9550 instructions:
1. install 188.8.131.527 to pc
2. install this over 184.108.40.2067 folder
2a. shrink your os if you want
3. install to phone 9520 instructions: 1. install 220.127.116.110 to pc
2. install this over 18.104.22.1680 folder
2a. shrink your os if you want
3. install to phone download here this hybrid includes: - .608 in about screen - 120+ .748/.732 files including browser - the rest .580 files/6xx - latest: app world, bbm, docs2go, facebook, twitter - bbhybrids launcher (optional) - shrink-a-os (optional, but recommended) - bbsak (optional, excellent tool) - blackberry master control program (optional, another excellent tool) - multi-language support both hybrids: added apps: - bbhybrids theme (by rellims) - bbscanner - berryblab (vbulletin client) - bolt/opera5 browser choices - google maps - poynt - quickpull free - ubertwitter - Internet
I guinea pigged this, and can confirm it works...partially !!! Install .451, replace java folder with .497, then copy and paste .484 java over that... (NOTE: you may experience an app error reset, just let it reboot and you should be fine!)
I've been thinking of getting a Blackberry for quite some time now and decided to get the storm2 due to it's larger screen.I m located in Canada and using Fido (or Rogers). So I could get either one right? But why do I hear some rumors that 9550 is not so good on GSM as the 9520? Should I get 9550 or 9520? I wont be using the CDMA at all, but it seems that I could get 9550 a lot easier than 9520 in Canada.
First I would like to say hello to my fellow berry folks. This is my first post on this site. I was a regular on blackberryforums.com but I see there is a greater following on crackberry, so I'll share my story here...... I have AT&T for my carrier and I was up for an phone upgrade. A few months ago I purchased a brand new 9550 (had the Pearl2 before that and the original Pearl before that!) that was unlocked and I loved it!!! Since this was a Verizon phone, I could not use AT&T's 3G network so I decided to go with the "next best thing", the Iphone. Well, 24 hours later I was returning the phone back to the story. I was unimpressed. Here are the reasons why, though they may seem petty, was enough for me to give it back.........
1. No LED status indicator. I didn't realize how much I actually depended on this. For example, if you get a text or better yet miss a text, you MUST push the home button to turn the screen on to see if you received a text or not. With the Blackberry, a quick glance at the status indicator LED would let you know that. This will never be capiable with any current Iphone as they do not have any such "bulb". There are apps that can "flash" the screen but I can imagine that would play a big part in the battery life. I've read on a few Iphone forums that the users wish they had an LED indicator, while other said that it would be annoying to have this feature. But as annoying as it may be, it is an OPTION with the Blackberry.
2. No sound profiles. Well, it actually has two. Silent, which you only have the option to change vibrate to on/off. The other option is just a general option where you can change the loudness on the ring via a slider. There is a Sound Profile app that'll cost you about $7.
3. You cannot use any apps outside the Apple App store unless you "jailbreak" it. Jailbreaking will void your warranty. We all already know Blackberry is open to all outside apps.
4. Home screen does not "flip" when turned to landscape. May be an app for that.
5. Scary to think what happens to this phone when the battery actually dies, since you can't replace it (not a reason to totally ditch the phone but worth noting).
A few things that were pretty sweet on the Iphone........
1. Safari. Very nice and extremely user friendly. Was very fast but I don't have anything to compare it with since my Blackberry could not use the 3G network. Hopefully RIMs new browser will be up to par.
2. A trillion apps..........Nuff said........It'll be quite awhile for Blackberry to catch up in that department. But my guess it that 95% of Apples apps are pretty useless.
3. No clicking. This is bitter/sweet for me. For typing, clicking is a MUST for me and I missed it dearly. But for larger "depressions" like icons and such where mistakes are minimal due to the fact of the larger area to push on, a simple tap on the screen was very nice. I wish a "tap not click" was an option on the Blackberry, as I would be tapping icons and clicking text.
I just got a replacement Storm 2 dated Mar 6, 2010. My old Storm worked pretty well but sometimes the bottom row buttons would stick, especially when using the Seidio extended battery with the plastic battery cover. I have a week or so to try both out before sending back the old one.
The new screen feels more... buttery. Its smooth. Buttery smooth. The old screen is clickier. The bottom row buttons on the new screen are a little sloppy compared to when you press the middle of the screen. Does anyone else notice this? I don't like that.But so far the new screen hasn't locked up on the bottom row as much, especially when trying to use it while the Storm is lying on a table.
For typing, the old screen seems just a bit faster, maybe just a bit less pressure required. New screen is a bit harder to type on but smoother.The old screen has a warmer white color than the old, but that is OK the old was fairly "blue".I don't know for sure yet which I like better! But will update here as I find more. If new screen prevents "hard button" syndrome than that's probably enough.
When I put my micro Sd card into my PC I see there is a file within Blacberry marked "E-Books", however if I put any e-books into that file and put the card back into my Blackberry, I cannot no longer find that file in the various icons on the screen to even try and read the e-books.
I suppose no one has yet tried to load the java from .741 (9520) with the 713 radio for the 9550 yet. If someone gets to this before I do, please post your findings (most importantly the issue with making and ending phone calls on the previous radio versions not functioning properly). Once I get to work, I'll load it up and let you know my findings if no one has done it yet. It'll be several hours though.
I am thinking of buying a used BlackBerry Storm. I originally was just going to buy one and use it on Page Plus Cellular, but with what is going on with Page Plus Cellular I am now wondering if I should just use this in T-Mobile prepaid. Does this need to be unlocked to use it on GSM in the US?
I am wondering if it is possible to install an OS designed for the 9520 on to the 9550. I need to do this in order to have Chinese input (unless someone else knows a way to do this?) enabled on my 9550.
This is the entire .643 Java folder with a few 612 files to make it all work. Will show .643 in the Help-->About screen 9550 - Install 607, replace the files in the .607 java folder with the hybrid files and install.9520 - Install 612, replace the files in the .612 java folder with the hybrid files and install. Links:URL... 517 radio/ 580 radio version - Should show .580 in Help-->About screen 9550 - Install 517, replace the files in the .607 java folder with the hybrid files and install.9520 - Install 580, replace the files in the .612 java folder with the hybrid files and install. Links:URL...
This is the entire .669 Java folder with a few 612 files to make it all work.Will show .669 in the Help-->About screen 9550 - Install 607, replace the files in the .607 java folder with the hybrid files and install.9520 - Install 612, replace the files in the .612 java folder with the hybrid files and install. Links:URL... Alt Links:URL...
Will show .692 in the Help-->About screen 9550 - Install 607, replace the files in the .607 java folder with the hybrid files and install.9520 - Install 612, replace the files in the .612 java folder with the hybrid files and install.
Links: URL... Alt Links: URL...
517 radio/ 580 radio version - Should show .580 in Help-->About screen 9550 - Install 517, replace the files in the .517 java folder with the hybrid files and install.9520 - Install 580, replace the files in the .580 java folder with the hybrid files and install.
Here is another installment of another great Hybrid for you. Please feel free to download and enjoy! I must apologize for being delayed on the forum if there are any questions that need to be answered. This is a 517/553/586/591 Hybrid. Enjoy !Driphter.com - Seanren78 95xx v8.5
I read that Opera Mini was much faster browsing internet comparing to the default bb browser.i run opera mini Beta 5.2 but is by far more slow that browsing with the BB default internet browser...Which is the best and faster internet browser for BB storm2 - 9520??i´m running the .497
Now I've never had this problem on my Curve, but i recently bought a Storm 2 and the phone does not detect the 16Mb memory card. I have tested several other memory cards and still nothing. I have used my Curve to format the card and it worked fine for the Curve but still didn't work in the storm. Any suggestions or fixes for this problem?
i just got a storm 2 9550 unlocked originally verizon. m unable to bet teh browser working it gives me the error msg " this is a wifi service"plus i have no idea what settings i have to do it shows edge.. but i dunno how to work it.. using it in india.. have vodafone as well as an airtel sim.... dont mind using either if someone can help me wit the settings.