Feb 18, 2010
I've searched this forum and (surprisingly) not found any references to what is possibly the most annoying "feature" that RIM has introduced since I've owned a berry. By providing the broadcast function in the newer versions of Messenger, my berry is now subject to the same stupid, irrelevant, inane and/or unoriginal jokes/rumours/prayer request-type junk mail that I strenuously guard my email inbox against. However, while I can set up filters and rules to block such unwanted email messages, there are no such controls present in BBM and the only way to effectively counter repeat offenders is to delete them from your contact list, which is a sledgehammer vs nut solution, to say the least.
View 5 Replies
In my list of contacts, there are certain individuals who regularly send out such broadcast messages and then there are others who are thoroughly irritated by them, like myself, but then compound the situation by sending out aggravated, ill-tempered broadcasts complaining about previous messages. When you have a couple hundred contacts, it really can get quite ridiculous at times on days when a popular joke or meme is making the rounds.
So, I would like to request that the BBM dev team seriously investigate adding a "Block Broadcasts" option - ideally on a per-contact basis, but I would settle for an all-or-nothing solution as I'm willing to sacrifice the 1% of useful messages I get if it spares me the disruption of the other 99%. If my own contact list is anything to go by, I'm not the only one who would be hugely grateful for this to be implemented as swiftly as possible, or am I the only grinch in the building?